Open, innovative, intelligent and secure capability to enable the Next Generation of Air Dominance
Next-generation fighter platforms, their pilots and the future of air dominance will face more challenges than ever before, including a complex international security environment and rapidly evolving technologies from near-peer threats. We must maintain a competitive edge against adversaries, leveraging enabling technologies that accommodate the need for enhanced mission flexibility, rapid prototyping, integration and deployment.
Development of Collins Aerospace next-generation systems for allied fighter aircraft is driven by our expertise and innovation. We develop robust, open and networked systems across our product lines to reduce development, integration and certification cycle times, enabling rapid fielding of crucially needed capabilities.
Enabling the next generation of air dominance - Mosarc™ avionics
Mosarc – delivering a modular, open, scalable, and secure avionics architecture providing ability to consistently provide capability to the warfighter as the mission demands.
Through Collins' MOSA compliant design approach and Mosarc family of capabilities, we offer fighter fleet owners a cost-effective solution to provide innovation at the speed of relevance to their fleet, reducing supply chain risk and protecting previous investments while upgrading to new technologies that keep us ahead of our adversaries.
To ensure a more agile and flexible sixth generation fighter, avionics solutions must be built around an open systems engineering approach and architecture to enable rapid technology insertions and increased mission flexibility to help outpace evolving enemy threats and ensure sustained air dominance. Collins' cost saving Mosarc open systems solutions eliminate vendor lock and assists customers in protecting previous investments while proving an infrastructure to quickly integrate and deliver new capability to the field at the speed of relevance.
Innovation and advanced fighter capability
Collins’ unparalleled portfolio of mission-enabling, integrated and open avionics capability can rapidly meet sixth-generation fighter aircraft requirements of size, weight, power, cost, and combined effects. Taking an operator's perspective, we’ve strived to deliver on continued air dominance across all our capability domains enabling next-generation human machine interfacing with autonomous wingmen, pilot security and safety, unprecedented situational awareness and reliable mission execution.
Helmet Mounted Display Systems (HMDS)
- Integrated digital night vision
- Proven and mature design
- Binocular display
- Multiple lightweight, flexible HMDS offerings
- Provides enhanced situational awareness and accuracy
Mosarc Assured Networking Solutions (ANS)
- Higher networking speeds and throughput for more agile sensor integration
- Decreased Integration and certification times and costs
- Networked cyber hardened
- Critical enabler to a platform modular, open systems architecture
- More frequent and flexible mission upgrades
Mosarc Large Area Display
- Open, tailorable and high-performance LAD improving pilot situational awareness
- Wide-screen (8" x 20") and configurable display
- Glove compatible and resistive multi-touch display improves accuracy
- Redundant design architectures improves operator safety and reliability
- NVG compatible
Mosarc Adaptive Flight Display (AFD)
- 9" diagonal AFD enables better viewing and interpretation of data
- Open, tailorable and ruggedized AFD improving pilot situational awareness
- Low risk, mature and certifiable design
- Resistive touchscreen Liquid Crystal Display with multi-touch support
- Small footprint and Reliable (MTRB >9,000 hrs)
- Increased pilot safety delivered through ACES 5® ejection seat
- Next-generation flight control and vehicle management computing solutions
- Communication, navigation, and mission-critical sensors and systems
- Imaging and optronic superiority
- Integrated training and service solutions
Air data systems
- Reduced SWAP-C and simplified design
- Easily integrated and mounted
- Improved accuracy
- Superior performance and operational reliability
- Cross-domain and SecureOne cyber security solutions
Fighter expertise and global support
Our extensive fighter operator experience, mission enabling innovation, and legacy in providing advanced fighter aircraft avionics and mission solutions to US and allied militaries make Collins a key partner to ensure the next generation of air dominance. Our focus remains on providing pilots an integrated platform infrastructure and supporting mission and Avionics equipment to dissemination information to the operator and across the battlefield in an open, networked, intelligent and secure way.
Podcast: How open avionics are enabling the next generation of air dominance (Studio) (shephardmedia.com)
Collins also customizes service and sustainment solutions specific to the selected sixth-generation fighter's life cycle needs in multi-domain and geographically dispersed operations. Collins consistently exceeds military customers' expectations by reducing turnaround times, backorders, spares requirements and program costs with tailored solutions that meet current operational and readiness needs.
News and resources
- Open, Networked & Secure Avionics are enabling the next-generation of Air Dominance (Air Force Magazine, Sept. 2022)
- The Digital Backbone – Developing the Architecture for Enablement of Open Systems (The Modern Battlespace, August 2022)
- Defining an Open Systems Approach for the Defense Community (whitepaper) (The Modern Battlespace)
- Collins Aerospace and the USAF: A Parallel History in Evolving Aviation Technology (Air Force Magazine, June 2022)